Monday, September 12, 2011

our version of an anemometer (aka toilet paper, a stopwatch and some long legs)

Today, the winds were so strong, that we decided to figure exactly how strong and how fast they actually were, so we built an anemometer (pronounced an-e-mom-e-ter) using a few pieces of tissue paper, a stopwatch, and my dad's long legs. We went on to the mound and dad stood at one end, me at the other and making sure the wind was blowing from him to me. He threw the tissue into the air and at the same time I started the stopwatch. As soon as the tissue was level with me, I stopped the stopwatch and dad counted how many of his meter long steps it took to reach me. It took 3.1 seconds to reach me and it was 39 meters from dad to me.
We need to convert 39 meters in 3.1 seconds into something more useful like how many kilometers per hour.
39 meters per 3.1 seconds
39 ÷  3.1 =12.5
12.5 meters per 1 second
This can be written as 12.5 m/s 
There are 3600 seconds in an hour
12.5 x 3,600 = 45,000meters per hour
45,000 ÷ 1000 = 45

So that means that the wind is going at a speed of 45 km/h.
We looked at the met.ie website predicted that we would be getting winds of of around 45 km/h but would also be getting gust of 90 to 130 km/h.

That is the weather for today, this is Leontien reporting from cloughjordan, have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment